Thursday 21 February 2013

Impotent Anger or Active Compassion?


As I sat watching the news on the Hyderabad blasts today, the same questions that have long haunted me came back……Why should this happen? Where is the justice in all this? And as my mind waded through potential rationalizations, I could not help but realize, that the only thing worth pursuing, is the quest to make the world a more sensible place, a more humane place (what does humanness mean anyway when it’s the human race that has committed the worst crimes in the history of existence!).

As I stood staring into the dark night, I was aware of the fact that this very moment, there were unimaginable atrocities being committed, in so many parts of the world by so many people. I felt grateful to be part of a system which is founded on the principles of humaneness, of fairness, of justice. Grateful and proud. I was also very aware of how privileged I am to be in a position where one can make a positive difference. I do not use the word privilege lightly here, I recognize and acknowledge it acutely.

And as anger rises in me, I pause and question myself: Is this another bout of impotent anger? An anger that judges, criticizes, seeks to get even? Or active compassion? That empathizes, understands, sees the whole picture and results in a constructive action? It’s up to each one of us what we allow to happen in our hearts and minds in the face of injustice around us isn’t it? It’s up to us to either seethe pointlessly in anger at whatever Gods there might be, or to use our existence to help whatever Gods there might be, to do something good.

What choice will you make today?

I choose to stay committed to the cause of helping and nurturing. I refuse to give in to hopelessness and cynicism. 

2 comments:

  1. In every dark cloud there is a silver lining. The problem is that at the time one is going through the pain and suffering resulting from an unfortunate event, one is often unable to see the opportunity of learning and growth. Each event of suffering is in fact a window of opportunity to learn, choose and to re-create oneself in the image of what is good, loving and pure. As you said, we always have a choice - the choice to be angry, resentful/mad or the choice to remain hopeful and to nurture. Love is so much more powerful than hate just as light is so much more powerful than darkness. One single candle can be seen in a room full of darkness...so yes Chitra, all we have to remember is that we can each be that candle that glows in the darkness. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Yasmin, its one of the hardest things to do. Being aware of the silver lining while you're thrown in the dark.
    But I suppose there is always help.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments here